Matthew Sullivan is an attorney in the Personal Injury Department at The Law Offices Spar & Bernstein. He is experienced in commercial construction litigation and personal injuries arising out of construction site accidents, specifically those accidents that implicate the New York Labor Law—a set of statutes designed to protect construction workers.
Matthew previously defended construction companies, general contractors, and owners of construction projects. Having defended multi-million dollar cases on behalf of major companies and property owners, he knows how the “other side” thinks. This insight allows him to offer clients a global perspective on how to resolve their cases.
Now, Matthew represents injured workers and ensures that contractors comply with all applicable statutes, providing employees with a safe place to work. He prepares every case as if it’s going to trial, from getting to know a person and their problem, to researching all of the issues involved, and then putting all of the pieces together.
Time is not on your side in an injury case, and Matthew moves quickly. He makes it a point to meet with the client as early as possible to gain first-hand understanding of the case. From there, he coordinates the investigation and secures evidence and witness statements promptly. Throughout the course of litigation, he keeps in contact with his clients in order to make sure that everyone is always on the same page.
Matthew has a passion for working with people and helping them solve their problems through the legal system. He enjoys advocating on behalf of an injured or wronged person and helping them become whole again, whether that’s by recovering a monetary award or reclaiming their property.
Matthew has handled catastrophic construction site accidents, premises liability, and claims for property damage. He has also represented an international shipping company in litigation as well as its dealings with regulatory agencies.
- Roanoke College, Salem, VA
B.A., cum laude, Political Science, 2007
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- St. John’s University, Queens, NY
Court and Bar Admissions
- New York
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2016
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an international shipping company relating to cargo shipped from the Dominican Republic.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of eight subcontractors working on the World Trade Center in a New York Labor Law personal injury action.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of construction site owner in a New York Labor Law personal injury action.
- Speaking engagements at colleges on trial practice and careers in law.