How to Apply For US Green Card?

Two ways to apply for a U.S. green card, include sponsorship through an immediate family member, or through a company that sponsors you. All of the US Green Card applications are sent to and processed by USCIS. Before applying, you need to identify which immigrant category you belong to.

Depending on your Green Card category, many factors will vary, including the application process, authorities to report to, admission requirements, wait time, and the total cost. Below, we have briefly described the procedure on how to apply for a US Green Card in 2018. Check all the facts to understand your responsibility when using an immigrant visa.

Green Card through Employment

Obtaining a Green Card through employment is a time consuming and complicated process. Only a few visas are offered to those seeking to immigrate to the U.S. through employment. The work visa depends on crucial factors such as company affiliation, length of stay in the US, corporate constellation and qualifications. If you want a valid immigration visa for a specific period, you can opt for a temporary work visa. However, if you’re going to work and live permanently in the US, a US Green Card is necessary.

You are eligible to apply for a US Green Card, if you satisfy the following conditions:

  • If you received an employment offer from a US company for a specific position. Here, the employer will need to file your immigration petition with USCIS and the Department of Labor
  • If you have extraordinary skills, you can apply for US Green Card through self-petition under Aliens with Extraordinary ability or National Interest Waiver
  • If you are an entrepreneur and want to invest in the US
  • If you qualify under particular job categories including religious workers, international organization employees, NATO-6 employees, Iraqi/Afghan translator, and more


Green Card through Family

The US Green Card program allows individuals to sponsor immediate family members and spouses. Despite this,  obtaining a Green Card through the family is still a complicated procedure, and involves long waiting periods. You must consult our immigration attorneys before filing the petition to avoid any confusion.

US Immigration law allows the following family members to obtain a US Green Card –

  • Spouses or fiancé of Green card holders and US citizens
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21, parents with both Green Card and US Citizenship can apply
  • Unmarried children over the age of 21, parents with both Green Card and US Citizenship can apply
  • Married children over the age of 21 of immigrants with US citizenship
    Brothers or sisters of immigrants with permanent US citizenship

Note – You cannot apply for a Green Card for family members such as grandfathers, uncles, aunts, cousins, and others.
Obtaining a Green Card through the lottery is also a viable option, however, you have to be eligible before participating in the Green Card lottery program. To know more about US Green Card eligibility and procedure, contact our immigration attorneys today.
contact our immigration attorneys today.

Call us at 1-800-529-5465 to know more about the AR-11 Form and Change of Address regulations for immigrants.

Law Offices of Spar Bernstein
CALL 1-800-529-5465 IF IN THE USA!
225 Broadway, 5th FL
New York, New York 10007

Attorney Advertisement. Prior successful results do not guarantee a similar outcome.


Scroll to Top