Dark Mode
A Green Card and the U.S. flag​
Blogs, Immigration Blog

Green Card Renewal Fee, Process & Timeline Explained

Whether your Green Card expired recently, or it is on the verge of expiration, it is important to know the details of the renewal process.

From eligibility criteria to potential reasons for denial and everything in between, we have compiled a comprehensive guide that provides insights into the Green Card renewal fee, the steps of the application process and the processing time.

Plus, we will answer common questions and explain how our lawyers at Spar & Bernstein can help you on your Green Card renewal journey.

Looking for an immigration lawyer?

Contact Spar & Bernstein

How Much Is The Green Card Renewal Fee?

The filing fee for renewing your Green Card is $455. In addition to the filing fee, you might need to pay a biometric services fee of $85.

Payment methods include credit card payment, money order, personal or cashier’s check.

Each fee should be paid separately.

The fees for filing and biometric services are non-refundable and conclusive, irrespective of the outcome of your application or whether you decide to withdraw your request.

You will not have to pay a Green Card renewal fee if:

  • Your card was issued but was not received (in case it was sent more than 30 days ago, was returned as undeliverable and you have not moved from the address you provided to USCIS)
  • Your existing card has incorrect data due to an error made by the Department of Homeland Security
  • You have reached your 14th birthday and your existing card will expire after your 16th birthday

Typically, in the cases when you do not owe a filing fee, you will need to submit additional documents. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you determine what documents are needed.

At The Law Offices of Spar & Bernstein, we have handled immigration cases for more than five decades. From citizenship and naturalization to family and employment immigration, we have a rich portfolio of success stories.

Schedule a consultation with our knowledgeable attorneys and we will give you the latest information regarding your Green Card renewal fee, the necessary documentation and expected processing time.

Green Card Renewal Process For Permanent Residents

For lawful permanent residents, Green Cards are valid for 10 years.

Follow the steps below, if your Green Card expires within the following six months or has already expired.

1. Check Your Eligibility

Verify your eligibility for Green Card renewal by confirming whether you are within the renewal window mentioned above.

If you do not see an expiration date on the front of your Green Card, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recommends filing a renewal application, as most old versions are no longer valid.

2. Prepare Form I-90 And Supporting Documents

Complete Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Provide accurate and up-to-date information.

Collect all necessary documents, including:

  • A copy of your expiring Green Card
  • Supporting identification
  • Any additional documentation required for specific circumstances (for example, a court order or a marriage certificate that proves a name change)

3. Pay Fees

Pay the filing fee for Form I-90 and the biometrics service fee, if applicable. Make sure to check the latest fee amounts on the USCIS website or contact an experienced immigration lawyer to give you the most accurate fee information.

4. File Your Application

Submit your completed Form I-90, along with the required supporting and payment documents. You can file your application online or by mail.

Online applications

To file your Green Card renewal application online, create an online account. In addition to filing your application, you can use your online account to check your case status, receive updates and notifications, view estimated processing time and manage your contact information.

Mail applications

Send your application by mail to one of the USCIS addresses below:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS)


Attn: I-90

P.O. Box 21262

Phoenix, AZ 85036-1262

FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries


Attn: I-90 (Box 21262)

2108 E. Elliot Rd.

Tempe, AZ 85284-1806

5. Wait For A USCIS Receipt Notice

After submitting Form I-90, you will receive Form I-797C, Notice of Action, from USCIS, confirming they received your application and filing fee. The notice will contain your case number, which you can use to track the status of your application.

If your Green Card has not yet expired or expired within the last year, Form I-797C will grant you a validity extension of 24 months.

6. Attend A Biometric Appointment

Visit a designated USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) to provide fingerprints and a photograph as part of the biometric process.

7. Receive A Decision Notice

Once USCIS processes your Green Card renewal application, they will inform you about their decision.

If your application is approved, you will receive your new Green Card.

Although not common, your application for Green Card renewal can be denied. This might be the case if you:

  • Committed a crime
  • Spent extended periods of time outside the U.S. without proper documentation, which can be considered abandonment of your permanent residency
  • Were engaged in fraud or misrepresentation
  • Submitted inaccurate forms

If your Green Card renewal application is denied, you might have the option to appeal the decision or reapply with additional documentation addressing the issues raised in the denial notice.

Form I-90​
To renew your Green Card, complete and file Form I-90​

Green Card Renewal Process For Conditional Residents

If you are a conditional resident, the validity of your Green Card is 2 years. Conditional Green Cards cannot be renewed.

Once the two-year validity period of your conditional Green Card is over, you lose your lawful status, along with the right to live and work in the U.S.

If you want to remain in the country, file a petition to remove conditions from your Green Card from 90 days before your conditional Green Card expires.

Sticking to this time frame is very important. If you apply for removal of conditions earlier, USCIS will return your petition. If you apply for removal of conditions after your Green Card expires without a valid reason to explain the delay, your petition is likely to be rejected.

To remove conditions:

  • File Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, if you have a marriage-based conditional Green Card
  • File Form I-829, Petition by Investor to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status, if you have an investment-based conditional Green Card

A removal of conditions scenario requires additional supporting documents. Contact our attorneys at Spar & Bernstein and we will help you with the process.

How Long Does It Take To Renew Your Green Card?

Renewing your 10-year Green Card takes approximately five to eight months.

Various factors can affect your Green Card renewal timeline, including:

  • Increased volume of applications that need to be processed by USCIS
  • Errors or missing information in your application
  • Issues with supporting documents
  • Requests for additional evidence
  • Background checks and security clearance

To minimize delays, make sure you check the processing time section on the USCIS website for updates and respond promptly to any requests for additional information.

An immigration office employee with approved and rejected stamps on the table​
The Green Card renewal timeline can be affected by errors in your application or requests for additional evidence​

Need Help With Your Green Card Renewal? Schedule A Consultation With Spar & Bernstein

The process of renewing your Green Card can be smoother if you work with Spar & Bernstein!

Our experienced team of immigration lawyers will:

  • Provide accurate and up-to-date information, making sure your renewal application aligns with the current regulations
  • Prepare your Green Card renewal application, identifying potential issues or discrepancies and minimizing the risk of delays or denials
  • Help you compile and organize the necessary paperwork
  • Provide tailored solutions if your case is complex
  • Communicate with USCIS on your behalf, handling all requests for additional evidence or responding to inquiries
  • Help you navigate through the appeals process, if your renewal application is denied

With Spar & Bernstein, you have a reliable partner committed to helping you every step of the way in the Green Card renewal process.

Work with our team to renew your Green Card.

Contact Spar & Bernstein

Green Card Renewal FAQs

Still have questions about the Green Card renewal process? Explore the most frequently asked questions from our clients.

Can I work while my Green Card renewal is pending?

Yes, you can continue working with an expired Green Card if you have filed the renewal application on time and are waiting for a decision.

Read more on working in the U.S. with an expired Green Card in our recent article on the topic.

Can I travel while my Green Card renewal is pending?

Yes, you can travel while waiting for a decision on your Green Card renewal. Make sure you have your expired Green Card and the USCIS receipt notice for the renewal application with you while traveling.

Can I renew my Green Card if it has been lost or stolen?

Yes, you can! To replace a lost, stolen or damaged Green Card, file Form I-90. If your Green Card has been stolen, report it to local law enforcement.

Can I renew my Green Card if I have a criminal record?

In some cases, a criminal record may affect your eligibility. Schedule a consultation with our experienced immigration attorneys at Spar & Bernstein. We will assess your situation and explain your legal options.

Can I renew my Green Card if I have changed my name?

Yes, you can request renewal of your Green Card if you have changed your name. To support your request, provide the necessary documentation, such as a marriage certificate or a court order.

Need help with your application?

Contact Spar & Bernstein

Bradford H. Bernstein

This article was written and reviewed by Bradford H. Bernstein, a second-generation leader at Law Offices of Spar & Bernstein, P.C., who has helped over 100,000 clients with immigration and personal injury issues. Brad joined the firm in 1993, became a partner in 1997, and assumed leadership in 2000 after Harry Spar retired.